25 Mar A message from our CEO, Jerry Mabena, ahead of the nationwide lockdown.
Dear Friends in Tourism,
Who would have thought 2020 would challenge our industry to this extent. As we reflect on the last few weeks we feel it’s imperative to consider the positive:
- Kruger Shalati – the train on the bridge is well on track to open later in the year, with our first three train carriages on-site, while the next 5 following over the coming weeks. We are extremely excited and proud of this project and can’t wait to share the final results with all.
- Kruger Station which includes a hub of F&B offerings and an all-new 360-degree theatre is nearing completion and will be opening in the coming weeks. We are delighted at the work done here both from a design and product offering perspective, for Kruger National Park travellers this will be a treat in offerings to all guests.
- Cape Point has grown from strength to strength over the years – our female-lead team on the ground is performing extremely well and we are very impressed by the output we constantly see from there.
- Chiefs Mobile Tented Camps won a tender to operate seasonal tented camps in Knysna and in the Kruger Park starting in 2021, we are very excited about these, and look forward to introducing these to you in the near future.
- The Mandela Sanctuary in Houghton has broken ground earlier this year and construction is well on its way, the product development phase is very exciting and we are constantly humbled by the importance of this space.
With all this said, we are aware of the impact COVID-19 has on the entire tourism industry and others, and as we are about to embark on this lockdown period as a country, we encourage each and every one of you to adhere to the restrictions to keep our citizens as safe as possible during these trying times. Any prolonged periods of shut-down is detrimental to many businesses. We urge all our employees, partners, suppliers, and customers to do their bit in contributing to flattening the curve.
Let’s continue to focus on the positive and work in unity as we fight one of the toughest challenges we have ever faced as a society in the current times
Although we are all in lockdown in our respective homes, our management team is available remotely should you wish to contact any of us.
Stay safe and take care of your loved ones.
CEO Thebe Tourism Group